Click the banner to visit the site!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly
By Alex Flinn
Publisher: HarperTeen, 2007
200 pages, paperback
Date Finished: 23/5/2011
Genres: young Adult, Fantasy, Coming of Age, Some Action
I am a beast.

A beast!

Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.

~from goodreads.com~
~First Line: "Welcome to the first meeting of the Unexpected Changes chat group."
~Last Line: " 'May I have this dance?' "

Review: The first and foremost reason that I wanted to read this book was because of the movie hype. If the movie is anything like the book, I will love the film!


Our main character, Kyle Kingsbury, is rich, popular, good-looking. Everything a kid could hope for. He also has one of those snotty attitudes, and because of this, a witch turns into, well, a beast. The only way  for him to be turned back into his handsome self is for him to find true love and be kissed by her. For Kyle Kingsbury, this wasn't an easy-as-pie task that could be solved with daddy's money.


I loved how when his looks changed, he changed his name as well. Adrian is a good name. It fit for him once he changed his wats. It was weird but interesting to read about someone that was locked away from the rest of human life. Although, in modern-day New York City, you can't exactly go out in public looking like a beast and expect people to keep their cool.

Kyle -- Adrian -- met some really awesome people while he was locked away. Well, actually he only met two people: one that lived with him as a tutor, and the other was sort of brought there against their will. But the person still contributed a LOT to the story!

I am super-anxious to see the movie now! Sadly, I'll hav eto wait till it comes out on DVD. But that's fine. More time to read Cloaked. :)

Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

Kristina said...

The enjoyed the book and I enjoyed the movie to an extent. They changed a lot of things and the ending was really lame. Go into the movie with low expectations and you might come out liking the movie.
Let us know what you think of the movie compared to the book. I would love to hear another readers opinion on the book to movie.

Barnard Baker said...

I haven't watched the movie yet either, but the book was so great! I want to read more of Flinn's work, badly.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).