Click the banner to visit the site!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder & Interview w/Amy!!!!!!!

Today is officially the one-year anniversary of my blog!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!! This week has been amazing so far! But we're not done yet!!!!!! Today we're welcoming Amy Holder and her debut, The Lipstick Laws, to BFWOL!!! :DD
________________________________________________________________

The Lipstick Laws
By Amy Holder
Publisher: Graphia, 2011
237 pages, paperback
Date Finished: 11/6/2011
Genres: Young Adult, Coming of Age, Romance, Realistic Fiction, Chick Lit
At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is the queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Khan, and can ruin anyone's life with a snap of perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her. For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. April is so unpopular, kids don't even know she exists. But one lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity. But Britney's friendship comes with a high price tag. How much is April willing to pay?
~from goodreads.com~
~First Line: "Sitting near Darci Madison on the schoolbus is enough to put anyone with woman-sprout issues over the edge."
~Last Line: "And with that, I go to bed a proud Lipstick Lawbreaker and an ex-bra-stuffer."

Review: Talk about an awesome book! I really didn't expect it to be that good! It sort of showed me what high school could be like this upcoming year (I doubt it'll be anything like this book, but anything's possible, right? :D).

The main character, April Bowers, is a sophmore in high scool -- with no friends. Her best bud has moved away to Kansas, and somehow, on the first day, April manages to be accepted by the most popular girl in school. Things are amazing for her so far, even though her best friend warns her to stay away.

The plot was really awesome. You could tell that Amy seriously (maybe not too seriously) thought about the best way to write the characters and what happened throughout the 237 pages of the novel. Everything was just so teenish, and the reader can relate to April and her friends so weel. It all just sort of seems real!

The Lipstick Laws was most definitely an ahmazing book. I wish that it was a series, though. I've heard that they are thinking about making a tv series off of it. Hope that follows throught! :)

Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos and a half :)

Quotes from the book:
"No girl wants to hear that she needs a makeover. I know I'm not a supermodel, but c'mon, I'm not a wilting weed in desperate need of Miracle-Gro, either."
" 'Ah, to be a teenager again . . . when noon is morning and midnight is going to bed early.' "
"I get the tortellini alfredo. It's to die for. Technically, I guess it really could be to die for . . . hence my father's nickname for it: heart attack on a plate. Regardless of its artery-clogging qualities, it's delicious."
"Mr. Stuart jumps in horror when he sees me. 'Holy smokes, April! What happened?'
'Tennis balls are hazardous weapons,' I respond cooly.
The class laughs. I'm happy that others find humor in my suffering."
________________________________________________________

And now I have an awesome interview with Amy herself! :D Enjoy!

1. What made you want to be an author?
I've always loved to write, and I dreamed of being an author when I was little. However, it wasn’t until after college that I really started thinking about pursuing it professionally. I studied psychology in college and once I was out in the real world working in the field, I realized I wouldn’t feel completely fulfilled unless I was able to do something I truly adore. Writing is that something … and I feel very lucky to have accomplished my childhood dream.

2. What gave you the idea for The Lipstick Laws?
The idea for the book was very character driven. April, the main character, was the first aspect of the story that came to me. I always knew I wanted to write a fun story about the ups and downs of high school, but the whole plot evolved by free-writing in April's voice and putting her character into what-if scenarios.

3. Would you say that you’re a Lipstick Lawlord, or a Lipstick Lawbreaker?
I'm a Lipstick Lawbreaker through and through! I could never follow the Lipstick Laws... especially Lipstick Laws two, three and four!

4. What can we expect from you in the next couple of years?
In the next couple of years, I'm hoping to have another book or two out. Also, The Lipstick Laws was recently optioned for TV, so there's a chance that it may go to production at some point -- fingers crossed. There are still many steps that would have to happen before it gets to that point...but the possibility is exciting regardless.

5. Who are your favorite authors of all-time?
The authors who sparked my love of reading and writing at a young age will always have a soft spot in my heart. Those authors are: Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary and Madeleine L'Engle. I also adore Sophie Kinsella, J.K. Rowling, and Charles Dickens. And I may be biased, but I think my fellow 2011 debut authors are pretty amazing as well!

6. Do you enjoy eating asparagus?
Haha! This may be one of the most random questions I've ever gotten in an interview.... but, yes, I do enjoy eating asparagus. Thanks for asking. :)

7. What are some of your hobbies when you’re not writing?
I love art, photography, anything that makes me laugh, baking, shopping, going to plays, spending time with family/friends...and I'm a huge animal lover, so I like spending time with my pets and/or getting involved with animal rescue groups.

8. What’s your favorite holiday of the year?
Christmas is by far my favorite holiday! In fact, I'd love to be a holiday elf - even just for a day. Preferably the day would be Christmas Eve....because dressing like a holiday elf in the middle of July would probably be a little creepy.

9. How can my followers and I stay in top of what’s happening with you and your books?
You can find me at the following links (please don't hesitate to say hi!):

Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amyholderbooks
Website: www.amyholder.com
Blog: amyholderbooks.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/amyholderbooks
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/amyholder

Also, if you'd like to meet me in person, check out my news and reviews page for information about upcoming events: amyholdernews.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for the interview, Zakiya!


Thank YOU, Amy, for participating!!! I really appreciate it :p

4 comments:

Kristina said...

I got this book from netgalley but been hesitant to read it. Now I can't wait! I enjoyed the interview as well!

Kate said...

This book sounds so good, especially after your review. I'll need to read it soon. Great interview too Z! I love learning about authors and why they started writing and, if you love the book, what's next! I'm sure everyone has that same feeling.(Bangs on table "Where's the next book, I can't wait!") Oh, and I love your new blog design!

Kate said...

Oh, and Happy One Year, and to many more! Time sure flies with good books! :)

Lindsay Cummings author said...

i can't wait for this one! sounds great! =]

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).