Click the banner to visit the site!

Monday, July 25, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Not sure I told you all this, but all my reviews are labeled according to their GoodReads Rating, not the Overall Rating :).
_________________________________________________________________

Before I Fall
By Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins, 2010
470 pages, hardcover
Date Finished: 14/7/2011
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Coming of Age, Some Mystery, Romance
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

~from goodreads.com~
~First Line: "They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me."
~Last Line: "The rest you have to find out for yourself."

Review: It took me months to finish this. I have no idea how it got to the bottom of my Currently-Reading pile. I started it and LOVED it; then I probably started focusing on other books and plain old forfot about it. But recently, I made myself pick the book up again; I didn't want to put it down!

The main character, Samantha, dies in a car accident. She didn't know she was going to die; it was just another ordinary, marvelous day in the life of Samantha Kingston. Everything seemed like Mother Nature was taking her course -- until Sam relived her last day on Earth six times.

This novel was really amazing! It taught me a lot of important lessons, and I loved what the afterlife was trying to get her to do. She definitely picked up fast. I probably would've had to relive the same day a thousand times. But anyway!

My favorite character in this book was Kent. He'd been in love with Sam for quite a while. He never gave up trying to win her heart, and that made me love his character even more! There aren't many real-life Kents, but, surprisingly, I know one :).

Overall, this novel was marvelous. I'm anxious to get my hand on Oliver's Delirium now!

Plot Rating: 5
Character Rating: 4
Cover Rating: 4
GoodReads Rating: 5


Overall Rating:
Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos and a half :)

Quotes from the Book:
"My dad wishes me good night -- he's always ready to pass out after a beer, and tonight he had (gasp!) two."
"Things That Don't Matter When You've Lived the Same Day Six Times and Died on at Least Two of Them: lunch meats and their relative coolness."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).