Click the banner to visit the site!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nightlight by Harvard Lampoon

Nightlight: A Parody
By Harvard Lampoon
Publisher: Vintage Books, 2009
154 pages, paperback
Date Finished: 19/ 10/ 2010
Genres: Young Adult, Comical, Fantasy, Coming of Age, Some Action, Romance

~First Line of Book: "The hot Phoenix sun glared down on the car windowsill where my bare, pallid arm dangled shamelessly."
~Last Line of Book: "And with that Edwart put his cold lips to my neck, for the first time."

Review: Some would think that since I am a ginormous Twilight fanatic, I would be totally against reading a parody of the series debut. Yet, I found the synopsis of the book very funny, so I decided to give it a try.

I have to admit that at the beginning I wanted to throw it across the room quite a few times. But as I got more into the story and became adjusted to the characters' ersonalities, it got to be really humorous, as it was supposed to be. Even if you are a Twilight fanatic, it is possible for you to like Nightlight! One of the reasons that made me reconsider if I really wanted to read this book was the fact that so many people had given it a low rating. However, I'm glad that I gave this book a chance. To the author/s, wonderful job in writing this parody! :D

Rating:
Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

Quotes from the Book:

"I walked towards him shyly, tripping over a toddler and soaring into a keychain display. Embarrasses, I straightenedup and fell down the escalator, somersaulting over the roller luggage inconsiderately placed on the left side. I get my lack of coordination from my dad, who alwaysused to push my down when I was learning how to walk."

"I'd never imagined how I would die, but I had kind of hoped it would be in a war. I had never thought it would be like this: by snowball."

"Adam strutted away in a gait not quite as manly as Edwart's unpredictable limb-flail."

"The sun had set now and the streets were eerily quiet except for the spooky "Whoooooo" noise I made to scare away zombies -- enemies of spooks. I had to counteract this with zombie noises to scare away any spooks I might have attracted."

"He stood there for a minute, thinking, then jogged across the field.
'As if you could outrun me!' he shouted.
'As if you could outfight me!' He punched the air.
'As if you could outclimb me!' He hugged a tree and tried to wrap his legs around it before tumbling to the ground and trotting back to me, placing hishands on his head to maximize thw inflow of oxygen.
'Now are you afraid?' "

"I started to lick my lips, too, because it's one of those subconscious, contagious things like sneezing, but then I stopped because it just isn't worth it if you forgot to bring ChapStick."

"Plus, his anger had set off his overactive sweat glands, causing him to tear off his shirt. As he stood up to march down the road, squatting here and there to eamine the terrain, the musculature of his arms wobbled like string cheese."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).