Click the banner to visit the site!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Everlost (Skinjackers, #1)
By Neal Shusterman
Publisher: Simon  & Schuster, 2006
313 pages, Library Book (hardcover)
Date Finished: 21/8/2011
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, Coming of Age
Nick and Allie don't survive the car accident...but their souls don't exactly get where they're supposed to get either. Instead, they're caught halfway between life and death, in a sort of limbo known as Everlost: a shadow of the living world, filled with all the things and places that no longer exist. It's a magical yet dangerous place where bands of lost children run wild and anyone who stands in the same place too long sinks to the center of the Earth.

When they find Mary, the self-proclaimed queen of lost kids, Nick feels like he's found a home. But Allie isn't satisfied spending eternity between worlds. Against all warnings, Allie begins learning the "Criminal Art" of haunting and ventures into dangerous territory, where a monster called the McGill threatens all the souls of Everlost.

~from goodreads.com~
~First Line: "On a hairpin turn, above the dead forest, on no day in particular, a white Toyota crashed into a black Mercedes, for a moment blending into a blur of gray."
~Last Line: "Together they climbed into the silver airship, and rose into the Everlost sky."

Review: I'd only seen this book a few times before I checked it out from my school's library. It was my first Shusterman novel, but I really loved it. I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel, or another of Neal's books.

The main characters, Nick and Allie, die in a car crash, but on their way towards the light, they bump into each other and get thrown off course. They end up in the between world of Everlost, where if you stand still in the living world long enough, you'll sink to the center of the earth (or so they say).

I loved Nick's character after he was taken out of the jar of pickle brine (don't ask, lol). He was so fearless of everything, and he was determined in everything he did. I loved that about him, and I wish I could be more like that.

The plot of Everlost was pretty cool as well. I love how they have legends, like the McGill, and the "sink to the bottom of the Earth" thing. Those are my favorites, anyways, lol :). There's another about a man whose name starts with an H (but I can't remember). Oh well.

Anyway, I really recommend this book! I recently bought Everwild so hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

Plot Rating: 5
Character Rating: 4.5
Cover Rating: 4
GoodReads Rating: 5

Overall Rating:
and five-eighths :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).