Click the banner to visit the site!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

This book counts toward the following challenges:


__________________________________________________

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
By Pittacus Lore
Publisher: HarperCollins e-books, 2010
448 pages, Kindle Edition
Date Finished: 25/2/2011
Genres: Action, Coming of Age, Fantasy, Romance, Science Fiction, Young Adult
In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.

~from goodreads.com~

~First Line: "The door starts shaking."
~Last Line: "Wherever that might be."

Review: I originally wanted this novel after I read a co-blogger's review of it. Then my anxiousness grew once I saw the movie being advertised. I got the book only half a month ago; I've read it and have to say: I wasn't expecting what I got.

The first thing that pulled me in is probably the story line that I had heard on the movie commercial: "There were nine of us. Three are dead. I am Number Four." I mean, who wouldn't be drawn in by something like that?! Sure enough, of course, that was the plot. That alone really did make it interesting for me. I hadn't read anything like it in a while, if I'd ever read anything like it.

There was definitely some action. There's a HUGE battle at the end, at which someone very close to John (a.k.a. Number Four) dies. I cried, once again, like a baby. There is romance, as to be expected; John falls in love with Sarah Hart, the daughter of the realtor that sells John and his "father" Henri the house they stay in. Their love for each other was, at some points, a little cliche, but I was able to deal with it.

I have to say that this really was a well thought out book, the same as all these other books that have been taking up my time. I am glad that I bought this and had a chance to read it. Next goal: See the movie! :P

Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

Quotes from the Book:

"I pull the gloves from my back pocket and slip them on. Leather gardening gloves. I couldn't look more foolish if I were wearing clown shoes with yellow pants."

"I have home economics after lunch -- not because I necessarily care about cooking, but because it was either that or choir. And while I have many strengths and powers that are considered exceptional on Earth, singing is not one of them."

"The price of a memory is the memory of the sorrow it brings."

2 comments:

Michelle Santiago said...

glad you enjoyed it. i'm not sure of pick up the book but i do want to see the movie. great review :)

Michelle

P.S. thanks for stopping by our IMM post!

Zakiya LadyWings said...

Cools! And you're welcome! :D

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).