Click the banner to visit the site!

Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
500 minutes, audiobook
Finished on 30/3/2013
Genres: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Science Fiction, Steampunk, Some Adventure, Some Action
Goodreads page

Motivation to Read It: After falling in love with the Uglies series, I've been wanting to read this series simply because I had previously loved Westerfeld's work.

Review: Three months. That's how long it took me to listen to this book. (Actually it only took about a week, but you know -- time span.) Anyway, I really enjoyed this novel! Overall it probably has to do with the fact that the time setting was World War I (love me some history), but besides that it was a great read listen.
Shout-out to Alan Cumming for the awesome narration!
Let's start with plot. Intriguing is the first word that comes to mind. There's never really a moment of calm with Deryn or Alek. As soon as one problem has been solved, another presents itself at their feet. Of course, this is not entirely true because I'm sure there were times during the novel that I got distracted and wasn't paying attention; so don't rely on my word completely :). Anyhow, it kept me very entertained. I enjoyed the battle scenes themost. Lots of action; plus, the defense systems of both the Leviathan and the Stormwalkers were quite interesting because, obviously, it's not something I'm familiar with.

Alek and Deryn themselves were awesome charries. Alek was just trying to keep himself safe after his parent's death. He couldn't just go around be friendly to people and telling them who he was, even when doing so might have actually helped him. He was very amiable, I think, because to me it seemed that he took an automatic liking t oDeryn and the other "Darwinists," seeing as he'd never been around them before. Deryn herself was quite the character. She simply wanted to serve her country (really, I think she just wanted to fly), and she had no remorse for lying her way through the system if that's what it would call for. I thought she was abubbly charrie, in a way, when it got time for battle, she wasn't necessarily elated, but she loved being in the air with the Huxleys and other fabricated creatures. Oh, and y my favorite swear of hers? "Barking spiders!"

I really loved Leviathan. I hate that it took me so long to listen to the whole thing, but luckily I have the next two books in the series! :D

Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosSatisfying eBookColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).