Click the banner to visit the site!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer

Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1) by Heather Brewer
182 pages, paperback
Finished on 5/7/2012
Genres: Young Adult, Coming of Age, Fantasy
Synopsis via GoodReads:
Junior high really sucks for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: his mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: he's being hunted by a vampire killer.
Motivation to Read It: I've had this book for either two years or going on two years; I've been meaning to read it, so I'm glad I finally got around to it.

Review: This book series has a lot of potential! EGB wasn't exceptionally wonderful or anything, but there's  room for the next books to make it really awesome.

Vladimir Tod is a vampire, and what really struck me as unique with this novel was that regular humans knew he was a vampire. Usually they can't tell anyone but other vampires about their true nature. I liked that he had this aunt to help him get food, rather than having to hunt for himself.

The plot was good; it traveled smoothly, and I wasn't confused at any point with what was going on. The characters were great! Aunt Nelly was so caring and loving that you couldn't help but love her just as much. Henry made me laugh; he brought the corny vampire jokes to the story. Mr. Otis was a really good teacher, although a little creepy. I wanted to be in his classes just because they seemed really fun. He could be a confusing character neat the end, though. Our main charrie Vlad was smarter than I thought he would be. He knew pretty quickly that he should be careful around Mr. Otis. He didn't know exactly what Otis wanted with him, but he was cautious.

Overall, this book was pretty good. Like I said, it's not amazing, but it was enjoyable; I plan on getting the next couple of books in the series to see where Heather Brewer's writing leads us. As I stated at the beginning, the series has potential, so we'll see if it lives up to it.

Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosLibrary Grab/Satisfying eBookColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos
(Rating System)

1 comments:

Sidne said...

hi, I'm seeking readers for my giveaway.
http://vrc2012.blogspot.com
Come check it out!

you like historical fiction. check out my post on thursday, two historical novels you will love. http://sidnereading.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).