Click the banner to visit the site!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #1)
By Mildred D. Taylor
Publisher: the Penguin Group, 1997
276 pages, paperback
Date Finished: 9/3/2010
Genres: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Realistic Fiction

First Line of Book: " 'Little Man, would you come on?' "
Last Line of Book: "I cried for T.J. For T.J. and the land."

Review: I reread Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry initially for a challenge on GoodReads, but I really didn't mind. This novel is actually not the first book in the Logans series. There are prequels named The Land and Song of the Trees. Anyway, the main character, Cassie, lives in Mississippi with her family during the 1930s, and things aren't as great for blacks as they are now. Taylor showed us some very good, but terrible, examples of what blacks went through during those times. Cassie and her family are lucky enough to have their own land, and Harlan Granger wants that land back. Lots of family stuff in the book, learning how to stick together, even in bad times. Anyone -- black OR white -- should read this book. It really has an effect on people. :)

Rating:
Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

Quotes from the Book:

" 'How'd she look?' inquired Little Man.
'Like . . . death.' T.J. waited for a moment for his words to be appropriately shocking, but the effect was spoiled by Little Man, who asked lightly, 'What does death look like?'
T.J. turned in annoyance. 'Don't he know nothing?' "

" 'And good riddance,' I thought, promising myself that if he ever pulled anything like that on me, I'd knock his block off."

"Then, red with anger, she stepped daintily across the clearing and struck me hard across the face. For the record, she had hit me first; I didn't plan on her hitting me again."


--Zakiya, the walking butterfly

2 comments:

Black Disaster Fairy said...

Geez! Every time I see those butterflies I am jealous. They are awesome. Lucky you get to us them five times for this book!

I posted the draft that you are waiting for in the group blog. My phone no longer works at the moment. It freaked out the other night and it wont even turn back on. I should be up and running again by next week. Blog or facebook is the best way to get a hold of me.

Zakiya LadyWings said...

LOL! Glad you enjoy them; really glad I found them :).

Awesome! I'll get it ASAP. Gawsh, I really need to look at comments more often. Jen and I thought something was wrong because you weren't replying to her. Glad everything's okay!

Z

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).