Click the banner to visit the site!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel

**RATED R (maybe X)** This review is terrible, due to overexcessive babbling, and a old outline to writing reviews. Please avert your eyes to another place if you wish to save your time. (Just kidding, of course, but this isn't one of my favorite reviews. :) )

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
By Kenneth Oppel
Publisher: Aladdin, 1999
214 pages, paperback
Date Finished: 5/1/2010
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure, Young Adult

First Line of Book: *Don't own book, borrowed it from teacher*

Synopsis: Shade is a young silverwing bat, the runt of his colony. But he's determined to prove himself on the long, dangerous winter migration to Hibernaculum, millions of wingbeats to the south. During a fierce storm, he loses the others and soon faces the most incredible journey of his young life. Desperately searching for a way to rejoin his flock, Shade meets a remarkable cast of characters: Marina, a Brightwing bat with a strange metal band on her leg; Zephyr, a mystical albino bat with an unusual gift; and Goth, a gigantic, carnivorous vampire bat. But which ones are friends, and which ones are enemies? In this epic story of adventure and suspense, Shade is going to need all the help he can find -- if he hopes to ever see his family again.
(From the back of the book!)

Review: I really liked Silverwing. It was a way to see the world in a different perspective, and an interesting one at that. I wasn't all that surprised that we were to follow the runt, though. I have read a few books prior to this one where the main characters are less popular, lower class, smaller/weaker, etc. to the people they are aiming to become. But, back to the appropriate topic, Silverwing is a book that I would recommend to even my younger cousin, who is only seven years old. Shade demonstrates how overcoming your peers' remarks can be useful. He made quite a few enemies along the way of reaching his colony at Hibernaculum, but he made it with the help of banded Marina. I am rating this book with four stars. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!


--Zakiya, the walking butterfly

2 comments:

Black Disaster Fairy said...

It's really not that horrible. I enjoy the short sweet reviews.

Twisted

Zakiya LadyWings said...

If you say so. Haha, gues I just got a little overexcited. But I just really don't like my old reviews. It always seemed to me tha tI kept babbling over-excessively. It really bothered me. You don't think I'm babbling above??

And thanks, BTW. :)

Zakiya.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).