Click the banner to visit the site!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
By Stephenie Meyer
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company, 2007
629 pages, hardcover
Date Finished: 6/29/2010
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure, Action, Romance, Young Adult

First Line of Book: "All our attempts at subterfuge had been in vain."

Review: I've noticed that I have reread a lot this year. Well, Eclipse was one of those wonderful books; the ones that you read again and againn because they get better and better. I also reread Eclipse in anticipation of the new motion picture (unwanted substitutes for "movie"), which I have yet to see. Don't worry, though, I'm going soon.

The third novel in Stephenie Meyer's worldwide, phenomenal Twilight series had me sympathetic, scared, angry, amused,m and overwhelmed with joy from cover to cover. In my opinion, Eclipse is the best in the series, followed closely by its sequel, Breaking Dawn. More action, fun, and a lot more Jacob than Twilight, but much less sadness than New Moon.

The opening of the story -- after the interesting prologue/preface -- is Bella reading a scribbled, confused, I-don't-know-how-to-say-this note from Jacob. Sad, but not NM sad. From that part, more drama and action. Soon enough, Bella and all her senior friends are graduating (Congrats!); they're finally done with high school. For Bella, this brings serious uncertainty. Carlisle and Edward have promised her that she may be turned into a vampire only after she graduates. However, if she wants Edward to do the changing, he insists that she marry him first. Can you believe that after Bella's done all that begging, the girl doesn't even know if she's ready or not?

The action part of this book came when the Cullens and the wolf pack to defeat newborns -- and Victoria herself. This is the part I'm mostly looking forward to in the movie, besides an ah-mazing exchange between Jacob and Bella. There was fast-moved killing, that Bella didn't even get to see, not that she wanted to in the first place. And, the person I'm overwhelmingly looking forward to seeing? -- Bree Tanner!, the star of the Eclipse novella, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. I've been wanting to see what Bree's character looks like ever since I read the "companion novel."

More ROMANCE!!! ~Edward~ Well, of course, Bella has more epic romance with her boyfriend Edward Cullen. That was obviously obvious. ~Jacob~ Okay, yes! Finally, we get a kiss scene from Jacob and Bella! This is one of the things I'm really looking forward to in this movie. So cuh-yoot! But also, Jacob is still very very against Edward and Bella's relationship, and definitely disagreeing with the fact that Bella will soon be a vampire. Bless his little soul....

Another thing that fans can look forward to in this book: Edward's 'sister,' Rosalie, and his 'brother,' Jasper, finally reveal how they became vamps! An exciting portion of the novel!

To wrap up my supersuperlong review, this is a book that I really don't mind rereading over and over again because it's just that good. For all you people that refuse to read the book: Fine. I'm sure the movie will be better than the book anyway. Yeah, I said it; I actually went against my own books-are-always-better-than-the-movie/s theory. But no matter, because I'm still recommending this awesome book!

I hope that you get to see the movie sometime. Because even if you haven't read any of the books, this is going to be one epic movie!

Rating:
Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos

Quotes from the Book:

" 'I told you about that story in the paper -- there's some kind of gang on a killing spree in Seattle, and I want you to steer clear, okay?'
I rolled my eyes. 'Dad, there's a better chance that I'll get struck by lightning than that the one day I'm in Seattle --' "

**Bella and Edward are passing notes in class. Bella = bold, Edward = italicized.**
"I wasn't about to send you off alone. With your luck, not even the black box would survive.
So let's say my bad luck did crash the plane. What exactly were you going to do about it?
Why is the plane crashing?
The pilots are passed out drunk.
Easy. I'd fly the plane.
Both engines have exploded, and we're falling in a death spiral toward the earth.
I'd wait till we were close enough to the ground, get a grip on you, kick out the wall, and jump. Then I'd run you back to the scene of the accident, and we'd stumble around like the two luckiest survivors in history.

I stared at him wordlessly.
'What?' he whispered.
I shook my head in awe. 'Nothing,' I mouthed."

" 'If you ever kiss her again, I will break your jaw for her,' he promised.
'What if she wants me too?' Jacob drawled.
'Hah!' I snorted.
'You might want to wait for her to say it rather than trust your interpretation of body language -- but it's your face.' "

" 'Kiss me, Jacob,' I said." [So few words, so much meaning ... sort of.]


--Zakiya, the walking butterfly

P.S., After I see Eclipse the movie, I will be posting a movie review, and will compare it to the book. I will also give you the inside scoop on whether Kristen's charrie, Bella, is any klutzier, and who's hotter: Edward, Jacob, Jasper, or Emmett? Will give you all the details on this "contest" in the movie review. Keep checking in to my blog for the my answer! Happy reading and/or movie-watching!

4 comments:

Sugar and Snark said...

Absolutely loved this book!

Black Disaster Fairy said...

Yes, I loved this book and this is a great review! I think I should re-read this one too!


Def your best review :)

Twisted

Zakiya LadyWings said...

Thanks, Lu and Elyssa! Yes, I was so in love with this book the second time I read it. I will have to reread the entire series sometime before BD comes to theaters :).

I believe it's my best yet, as well. Thanks again!

Z, twb (:

Julie said...

Eclipse was my favorite read from the series so far too. I still need to find time to read Breaking Dawn. I know...what am I waiting for?
As far as Eclipse, I loved learning about Jasper, Rosalie and the Wolf legends too. It brought a whole lot of meaning for me with Jacob and I grew to really become a Jacob fan. There was so much jam-packed into this book so you did a great job summarizing it with your review. I like your quotes too.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).