Click the banner to visit the site!

Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz
302 pages, paperback
Finished on 20/6/2012
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Coming of Age
Synopsis via GoodReads:
When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society.

The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapated mansion. Schuyler is a loner...and happy that way. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a popular girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think, but she wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?
Motivation to Read It: I'd wanted to read it for quite a while, and Leanne let me borrow it. She gave it to me a LONG time ago, but hey -- I read it, right?

Review: This book has been on my shelf forever. I'm glad I finally read it, but I must say that it wasn't amazing for me.

Schuyler Van Alen goes to a private school, is at the bottom of the scoial food chain, and is nowhere near changing anything about it. She really didn't strike me as anything but cliche: she's not a part of the popular kids circle, discovers she's a vampire, and then finds out she must save the Blue Bloods population from their own ignorance -- cliche to the max. I felt like she had a lot of potential that wasn't tapped into.

The plot didn't capture me that much either. The whole time I was reading the novel, I kind of floated along the words: it was interesting because of the Blue Bloods concept, but I wasn't intrigued. One minute she thinks Grandmother is hiding something, she tries to be the sleuth and find out what, finds out the truth about vampires, finds out what her best friend really does with his freetime. There just wasn't really anything in the line of events that shot out at me and made me want to keep reading because I was oh-so-curious.

I will be honest: I'm glad I borrowed this one. I would like to read the next book in the series to see if it gets any better, but it's not a must read.

Colorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and PhotosLibrary GrabColorful Animated Butterfly Pictures, Images and Photos
(Rating System)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say, whether good or bad. (This is not an open invitation to be rude.)

This blog is an award-free zone. I simply don't have the time to pass them on. Thanks for thinking of me, though :).